Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Rock on, Ladies (and some of you Gents)

Okay, I have no idea what International Women's Day is, but the Google homepage informs me that today is its 100th anniversary. (Thanks, Google; your completely random information is appreciated in this instance. Now, please don't take over my identity/mind/country/the world.) 

I've never heard of this day, it's true, but then again I've never heard of most things. So I'm gonna take this opportunity to say: 

1.  Women rock. 

Mum and me 
2.  My mom rocks. She is the awesomest woman I know, and if I'm just a little bit like her, then that makes me happy and proud. 

3.  Being a woman rocks. Yeah, cramps suck and we don't play in the NFL, but high heels make me feel sexy. There's so much about being a woman that I love, and I wouldn't trade it for $10 million. Anyone who knows me knows that's true. 

4.  Betty Friedan, Margaret Sanger, and Gloria Steinem rock. Oh, and Judy Brady, too. (Please read her 1971 essay from Ms. magazine "Why I Want a Wife." It's so good - and short! - it's scandalous.) 

5.  Men who are feminists rock. This includes John Stuart Mill and my hubby. 

Rock on, ladies, rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment