Sunday, April 10, 2011

Little Luxuries

We all have them, those little things we treat ourselves to. A new lipstick or nail polish, a favorite beer, maybe a yummy scented candle or a magazine from the check-out line. They're small things, usually not too expensive, and they make the everyday a bit brighter. 

My little luxury of choice is a Starbucks medium (I refuse the pretentiousness of the word "grande") iced caramel machiatto with whipped cream and caramel on top. (I don't wear make-up, drink alcohol, or like most scents - so coffee it is.) 

Do I ever feel bad about spending $4+ on a coffee drink multiple times a week? Sure I do. After all, that's $20+ a week I could be using for clothes or groceries or stuff for the house; or it's $20 a week we could be socking away in our savings (a savings to which we currently sock away nothing - call it the trials and tribulations of being or being married to a grad student). 

But I look forward to my drink; I really enjoy it. And in the grand scheme of things, it's a very minor expense that brings me a lot of smiles. 

Besides, I figure I've earned it - I work hard and don't spend much money on myself. Yes, I buy clothes frequently enough, but I buy nearly all of them at the thrift store (for, like, the cost of a machiatto), at Gabriel Brothers (sells "irregular" merchandise - that's often got nothing wrong with it - for low prices), and on sale in stores/online (for instance, I got five awesome $54.50 sweaters this winter for $12 a piece - or less).  Brad and I don't go out frequently, and when we do, we usually do it on the cheap (exceptions: The Cheesecake Factory and Olive Garden). Other people our age drop big bucks at the bar, at the club, at the movies, but not us. And we're certainly (and unfortunately) not jetsetters bouncing from this city to that on the weekend or in the summer. 

So, I don't beat myself up too much over the cost of my little indulgence. I deserve it. And I could be spending that money on a much worse habit - like smoking or drinking. Coffee doesn't seem so bad in comparison. 

(Although, maybe I should do a little more beating up - do you have any idea how many calories are in that drink?!?! You don't want to know. Trust me.) 

Today's little treat (in addition to the coffee, of course): 
Starbucks' new Very Berry Coffee Cake
(what a healthy lunch! Haha). 

No comments:

Post a Comment