Wednesday, August 24, 2011

From the couch to . . .

So I didn't make it to 5k, or 3 miles, this summer. Instead, I made it to 4.2 k or 2.5 miles. And, seriously, I couldn't be more proud of myself

No, I didn't reach my original goal. But I did keep at it while dealing (and still dealing) with runner's knee and aching hips (I had forgotten how much and how constantly my hips hurt when I workout hard). And not only did I keep at it, but I was also really, really reasonable about it. I listened to my body; when I hurt too bad, I hit the couch instead of the pavement. Same same when I was too tired - b/c when I'm tired, I'm a careless runner, and when I'm careless, I get hurt. 

This summer, I've been the most sane and rational about working out that, well, I've probably ever been while still staying committed to it. 

So instead of being down on myself for not hitting 5k, I'm reveling in my success. I haven't run consistently in 8 years (since I hurt my hip), and now I'm doing just that. To give my knees a break, today I did Zumba for the first time in 8 months, and it was wayyyyyyy easier than I remember it being at the start of the year. I feel strong. I feel faster. I feel confident

And that's something great to start off the semester with. 

4 comments:

  1. Proud of you! And probably mostly for your intelligent managing of this and your reasonable approach. Such a good thing. But all the running and feeling good is great too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pace yourself. Too much running will do more harm than good. Gradually build up your running distance, over time. And remember, no pain, no gain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, Diplo! I spent 13 weeks getting from 0 miles to 2.5 miles. According to the actual Couch to 5k plan, you're supposed to get to 3 miles in 13 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! 2.5 miles is nothing to sneeze at!

    ReplyDelete