Saturday, November 12, 2011

Grading = Tedious

What happens when you get 16 student papers on a Thursday, grade two on Sunday and not one more through the following Thursday? Well, you get to spend the weekend grading the 14 others, that's what. 

Every time I get a batch of papers, I say to myself, "I'm going to grade three of these a day, or at least two, so that it does not become overwhelming and stressful and make me want to weep." Every. Single. Time. 

Never once have I actually done that - although one time, last year, I think, I came rather close. But even that seems so vague it may have been a dream. 

And believe me, I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've never met a teacher who likes grading, and most loathe it. Butcher and I spent not a little bit of time on the phone last night gasping about grading instead of, well, actually grading. 

Why is grading papers so tedious? Here are a few reasons: 

- students just disregard various elements of the assignment. 

- they ignore your directives. We're not talking about suggestions like, "Maybe consider this angle," but things along the lines of, "Take that summary paragraph out; there's not supposed to be any summary in this paper." 

- students don't proofread, and a good bit of their writing sounds like talking, but writing isn't supposed to sound like talking b/c when someone is talking she gives you all sorts of cues and clues that writing does not give you, therefore allowing you to follow the conversation. 

And it just takes a long time. Every now and again you get a good paper, one that fulfills the requirements of the assignment with energy and creativity and readable English. Unfortunately, one of those every 7 or 8 papers isn't enough to keep your spirits up. 

I don't know if it's like this with upper-level courses; I desperately hope not, though of course there will always be students who don't want to write the paper, don't put effort into it, etc. Sometimes, I can't even blame students in freshman comp. for being disengaged from the material - after enough time teaching this class it's hard not to ask, "Why are we teaching them this?" 

But then I start grading the papers, and I realize they've got to improve their writing somehow and sooner rather than later would be ideal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment